Wednesday, October 7, 2009

TAMING A MINI FOREST

TAMING A MINI FOREST

Our ancestral house is surrounded by trees, big fruit-bearing trees plus many others for ornamental purposes. I called my place a MINI FOREST. It looks so good, so refreshing and so invigorating – an envy of many guests who happen to see and experience it.

It is also my pride because it serves as nature’s show window complete with beautiful birds and cute pretty butterflies flying around at all time. The harmony of nature’s sound is like an endless lullaby that keeps you dreaming continuously.

But there is one big problem. During Typhoon Season the tree branches turn to be dangerous fractured pieces of nature that could damage greatly our house and those of our neighbors.

I decided to cut (not kill) the tall ones like the Narra, the Mahogany, the Ilang-ilang, the Santol, the Mango and the Eucalyptus as well as the Indian trees. My garden suddenly turned bright but not really changed. New crude landscaping is needed to keep the whole place natural.

Soon new branches will grow out of the cut trunks and new younger looking trees shall be back to revived my Mini Forest-Garden.

What I did without the intention, turned out to be a useful protective measure that gave me tremendous peace of mind when Typhoons Ondoy and Pepeng came one after the other. I was able to sleep contentedly even if the rain was pouring hard. No branches were flown by the wind to damage properties while my garden was growing fresh green branches at the same time with the colorful poinsettias in preparation for Christmas Season.

1 comment:

summer rain said...

Mini forests in everyone's household could collectively turn into a rain forest.