Wednesday, February 24, 2010

EDSA REMEMBERED

A LETTER TO FRIENDS AND RELATIVES ABROAD
Published at the Philippine Star, Feb. 16, 1987

Dear Town mates,
It is not easy to describe one’s feelings after having actually joined a revolution as I did. I never felt so happy, so jubilant and so triumphant, all my life than after having personally participated in this historic transformation of the Filipinos. To me, what happened was “God’s politics”, a Divine intervention, a real miracle. Political analysts, psychologists and sociologists are all at a loss in evaluating the phenomenon of People Power. The experience made me feel so proud.
Now a new Filipino is born, a new Republic emerges and a new hope is just around the corner. The Filipinos are saved by their own brand of spirituality, life style and sense of humor. I was there when it all happened, can you beat that? I often say that if you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem. Now I know where I actually belong. I pity you who fled to other countries. You did not have the chance to get involved in this historic turn about.
My fifteen year old son cannot blame me anymore when he grows up. He will always remember that time when I enjoined him to be with me in chasing freedom and saving democracy. If I don’t leave him and my other children treasures when I die, I am confident they will always remember a simple ‘kind of courage’ that they will always cherish for as long as t hey live.
Helping save a country is not an easy job and having done so creates not a simple feeling. It is a feeling of extreme greatness and perhaps Marcos was right when he said “Filipinos will be great again”.
In fairness to him who flew to Hawaii, I am putting this on record that like Judas, Marcos also played a big role in the fulfillment of this democratic salvation.
My fond regards….

No comments: