Sunday, June 20, 2010

ALONE ON FATHER'S DAY

ALONE ON FATHER’S DAY

With five healthy children, four equally healthy children-in-law and nine grandchildren, all very healthy too plus an even healthier wife it was quite unusual for a father to be alone on this special day. Except for the still unmarried youngest son who must be very busy with his sports activities, most of them have sent their greetings either through the cell phone or the internet. Also everyone who was anyone at my ‘facebook’ and other accounts has made themselves felt, mostly through generalized greetings to all fathers.

I was not complaining of course, in fact, being the romantic and sentimental me I was dressed for the occasion with shinny, booty pair of shoes, brown pants and maroon-striped polo shirt with matching brown cap too.

I didn’t expect my wife to invite me to have lunch somewhere for actually after attending the Holy Mass she proceeded to attend to her projects at the farm with the helpers.

My youngest daughter texted me to explain that her family planned to invite me and my wife to have lunch at Tuscany, a Mediterranean restaurant in the vicinity of Tagaytay but their car conked and they had to cancel the trip.

After attending to my internet connections I went home, ate my lunch alone and accepted gracefully the reality that “My Father’s Days” are totally gone. My family has grown so well that everybody is everywhere except at home even during holidays. I accept with an open mind the fact that as my days pass-by I shall be more and more isolated from my family as I come nearer to my eternal home.

I learned later that my youngest son texted his greetings to my old number. He greeted me on time after all. The whole experience made my day.

No comments: