Tuesday, November 2, 2010

WHERE ARE THE OTHER HAROLDS?

WHERE ARE THE OTHER HAROLDS?

On my way out from a visit to the Blessed Sacrament I saw a young boy seriously kneeling at the last pew of the church with his little hands clasped in prayers.

I waited for him outside then asked him how old he was

“9 years old po”.

“In what grade are you and what is your name?”, I continued.

“Grade 3 po at Harold ang pangalan ko po”

Out of curiosity I ventured to inquire, “What did you pray for?”

“Nagpasalamat po ako sa Diyos dahil tinulungan Niyang kumita si Inay”.

I was so touched seeing a nine year old boy thanking God early in the morning because his mother earned a little amount.

He said they were three siblings and his mother was selling “chichiriyas” in Tagaytay. I failed to inquire about his father and I noticed some coins in his right palm.

“What are you going to buy with those coins?”

“Pang almusal po namin”.

“Bread?”, I asked.

“Lucky me po” (soup in sachet).

“How many?” I inquired further.

“Dalawa po” (Two sachets of soup for a family of five?)

AT P8.00 each that means P16.00. I gave him P10.00 with instructions to buy bread. He was so glad to receive the money I offered. His eyes opened widely as he throw out a wide smile showing his yellowish unbrushed teeth.

I felt so good meeting a poor boy thanking God early in the morning for a little blessing received by his mother. Other children his age were already playing games at the internet that time. I wondered where the other Harolds are but for as long as there are boys like him there is hope that this country will not totally go to the dogs.

1 comment:

summer rain said...

Where are they by the way?