Monday, February 21, 2011

POLICEMEN CAME TO "RESCUE ME"

POLICEMEN CAME TO ‘RESCUE ME’

I was talking to my friend who asked me where my wife was. I said she was in Manila and I was alone except for the gardener.

“Aren’t you afraid being alone?” asked my friend. I said No, because I have a long list of several relatives and friends whom I can summon to help me in case of emergency, by simply touching my Send message at my cell phone.

My friend wondered how I could call so many people at the same time. So, I took my cell phone and showed him the list of the people I want to come to help in time of need with a message: HELP! PLEASE QUIETLY BRING POLICEMEN! I added the word quietly to avoid commotions.

I was showing my friend my draft box where I save the message and the names and while in the process of demonstrating I accidentally touched the send button. It was too late for me to send another message that it was a false alarm.

In no time at all, three nieces, two nephews, several neighbors and friends all came rushing and panting, together with three policemen plus many other curious kibitzers.

It was a funny though embarrassing incident but in a way it turned out to be a drill just in case a real need for policemen came. It was consoling to discover that my neighbors immediately guarded my backyard with long, big pieces of wood ready to strike possible escaping suspects.

It was also then did I realize my truly concerned friends, neighbors and relatives.Knowing how so many were ready to help made me feel very good. But most of all I felt genuinely protected, aware that policemen were ready to offer their help…our towns finest indeed.

No comments: