Thursday, April 14, 2011

SUMMER BONDING TIME

SUMMER BONDING TIME

It is summer time again. Four of my grandchildren came to visit their “Lolo”. Three girls and a boy who is only two months old, was considered as their “bodyguard”.

I bonded with them through plays and storytelling and by doing other interesting things from origami to magic. This morning, to animate breakfast time I asked: “Who can define Love?” The six grader quickly replied: “I don’t know much about that”, while the fourth grader answered: “I am too young for Love”.

I explained that by love it can mean love of God, love of parents, love of friends, love of pets and many other things and not necessarily the love that was in their minds. This was followed by enlightened laughter. Then I looked at the two year old girl and jokingly asked what she could say about love. She childishly answered; “I love catfish”. More laughter ensued.

During dinner time I announced that our dinner topic was Honesty, and then asked “What comes to your mind? The six grader quickly said “Real”, to which the fourth grader immediately said “I agree”. I elaborated that they were both correct since honesty means truthfulness and if one is true; one is not a fake or plastic. Turning again to the two year old I asked: “How about you pretty girl, what is honesty?” She yawned “soup; horse”. I explained that she was honestly enjoying her soup while wishing to go horse-riding afterwards.

Since it was the period of lent I ventured to introduce Prayer as our next topic. The sixth grader quickly mentioned “Church” and the fourth grader replied “ God”. I explained that while prayers are commonly done inside the Church it could be done anywhere as prayer means talking to God and God is everywhere. Turning again to the two year old we all eagerly waited for her reaction. She carefully look to the left and to the right as if groping for the answer then she furrowed her forehead as if in deep thought before smiling at everyone and continued eating. Yes, I said, prayer could be done quietly as she very well demonstrated to all of us. A very lively discussion followed for quite a time.

I found this kind of bonding very effective as it stimulated the children to think and learn playfully. It also gave them a chance to actively participate. I was very careful not to allow anyone to feel guilty or totally wrong. Afterwards they were suggesting topics to discuss and so it turned out to be a continuing school while on summer vacation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog