Wednesday, October 29, 2008

TOMB PAINTERS (Oct. 229, 2008).

TOMB PAINTERS

They suddenly surrounded me when I entered the gate of the Memorial Park. They were of all ages, from as young as seven to as old as seventy years old. Each one was showing his painting paraphernalia complete with paints, brushes, sandpapers, metal polishes and rags. This was an annual scene at the Cemetery, days before All Saint Day.

I didn’t know to whom to listen first as each one was offering his price for the job, some of them bragging about their supposed know-how, specialty or experience. Basing on my past experience I announced the amount I was willing to offer for the cleaning of the four marble slabs of my parents and sisters.

They all wanted me to double or at least add more to my offer and when no one accepted my price I decided to move to the Municipal Cemetery to visit my other relatives there. I was followed by three young boys who said they were willing to do the job for the price that I offered.

Aware of the possibility that these inexperienced kids would have very little chance to be hired in the midst of so many others I decided to award to them the job as I also decided to personally supervise them. When they started working the envious bigger boys came around to discourage them to the point of making insulting comments. But I encouraged the kids to go on to show the bigger boys that they cannot just go on bullying the little ones. In the process I somehow taught them important lessons. I let them realized that they cannot easily get what they want in life by bragging and bullying.

The teacher in me was again awakened and I did what I thought was the right thing to do at the moment while hoping that somehow someone would change his attitude in life for that unexpected experience.

It took the three kids a long time to finish the job so I had the chance to visit an old friend nearby. When I returned to supervise the boys with the finishing touches the older bullies were still there obviously repenting why they were outsmarted by the little boys. At the end I could feel the sense of victory felt by my young tomb painters. They became more inspired to work and I knew they would be doing better while I fervently hope that they would become better citizens.

At this point a relatively more decent big boy came-by reminding me that he was the little boy I hired last year and that he was so thankful because last year I also supervised him and that he learned a lot from me.

I was sure even my parents and my sisters who were buried there must also be very happy watching from where they were how little boys were learning while cleaning and painting their graves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's just very unlucky that your plight with the children exists in every part of the country.I wonder how those kids make their both ends met for survival not discounting the elders. Supposedly, the school should be their home and not in a memorial park or anywhere else.