Monday, July 20, 2009

MISSION UNACCOMPLISHED

MISSION UNACCOMPLISHED

“If you are no longer talked about, you are finished and shall soon be forgotten”, so said someone, somewhere, sometime. It simply signified that you were no longer active, no longer seen around. Your existence were barely felt by others. You were either considered too weak or too sick if not yet dead.

This was the agony of a senior citizen. His activities were limited, his movements were minimized either by ailments or circumstances that prohibited him from getting involved in various activities, sometimes as ordered by his children who thought they were doing him good.

So I launched a book that I started writing 50 years ago. It was an entirely different book – semi historical, semi legendary. A compilation of my personal impressions about my hometown. Some thought it was weird if not outrageous. Thus it generated controversies that many didn’t like it . Someone deducted that half of the readers didn’t like the way it was presented but I was sure that the other half enjoyed it immensely. The optimist in me banked on the satisfied and gratified as well as enlightened 50 % of the readers. It was enough for me to consider my book successful and more than enough to keep people talking about me. I was far from being finished yet.

To add more intrigue for a more substantial topic of discussion, I was hit by a speeding motorbike. I saw it directly onrushing to my path but a mysterious force pushed me just a hair line away before I fell down without hurting myself as the same mysterious force saved me and prevented my head from hitting the pavement.

Onlookers at the Municipal Park screamed and rushed to my rescue when they saw the incident. Many offered help, volunteering to bring me to the hospital. Many expected me to have sustained massive abrasions, contusions, dislocations and fractures all over my body but nothing of that sort happened. People suggested that I file a complaint against the unlicensed driver of a borrowed motorbike. But I left it to the Policemen to evaluate the violations and to observed their part and duty as guardians of the public.

For days people kept talking about that incident. They kept on talking about me and that way they kept me alive. Perhaps God wanted me to stay for a more while for a certain mission that I must accomplished. But what could be the mission? I hope the Guardian Angel who saved me shall appear in my dream one of these nights to explain to me how I should go about my unaccomplished mission.

No comments: