Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Positive Conversion of "L" sign

POSITIVE CONVERSION OF “L” SIGN

Yesterday, after taking my bath I suddenly had the urge to look for a yellow shirt. When I finally found an old collarless T-shirt I then looked for a matching yellow cap before a proceeded to my favorite netcafe to do my daily routine.

Yellow used to be the most distasteful color for me but after the EDSA revolution that I personally experienced with my 15 year old son, yellow quickly turned to be a most important color.

Immediately it projected a very different connotation. Instead of symbolizing cowardice that it used to represent it now stands for bravery, freedom, democracy and joy.

Yesterday, former President Corazon Cojuanco Aquino “Cory” who popularized the color yellow and died of colon cancer complications was buried. My patriotism was greatly awakened when the mother of Democracy died. Yellow is revived; Bayan Ko and Magkaisa are again on the air. Laban sign is once more popular.

This time the outstretched thumb and index finger forming an” L” has a different meaning. While it started as a fighting symbol, meaning Laban, now it is converted to mean love. Imee Marcos who once said she would spend her last centavo to get even with Cory attended the wake, together with her brother Bongbong and his wife, perhaps without deep sincerity but it was a good start.

President Gloria Macapagal Aroyo visited the wake too even just for a very short time but the mystery of love could miraculously transform things from “laban” to “Love”. It is not a sin to hope so let us all pray that the positive conversion rolls on.

Ninoy and Cory both gave their lives for us Filipinos – so that we may live freely and peacefully. It is not an impossible dream if we are all willing “to march into hell for a heavenly cause” in our own little ways.

Somehow, while watching on TV the thousands of mourners joining Cory's funeral, I felt a bit of sadness because my 15 year old son who was with me then during the EDSA revolution is now an Australian citizen as well as my youngest son.
My middle daughter is now a Canadian citizen and my two married daughters left in the Philippines might also immigrate to other countries. My wife and I could be left alone with my old fashioned "parochial patriotism".

2 comments:

summer rain said...

Lest should we forget another remarkable song aside from Magkaisa and Bayan Ko on that awakening year popularized by the APO Hiking Society, Handog ng Pilipino sa Mundo.

Anonymous said...

Delete shis text plz. Sorry