Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Honor Guards

THE HONOR GUARDS

While watching Cory’s funeral cortege on television I was greatly touched by the outpouring of love expressed by thousands and thousands of Filipinos from all walks of life. I was in fact so carried by my memories back to the time of the EDSA Revolution in 1986.

But I was more profoundly affected by the plight of the four Honor Guards that remained almost motionless in their dignified stiffness for nine hours. I pitied them so much but I appreciate them for doing their duties with flying colors. I knew they were trained to do their jobs.

Alternately they were rain-drenched and scorched by the heat of the sun but they stood with sincerity and firmness in performing their duties. Cory must be very proud of them as she was immensely thankful too.

Along the way they were thrown coins and flowers; teased by some naughty mourners but they remained unmoved. They served their Commander-in-Chief in the most courageous way.

I learned about their names on newspaper reports and I understood they would be given rewards of promotion and increase pay that they fully deserve. I join all the other good Filipinos in honoring the Honor Guards. I wish you the best!!! Pfc Antonio Cadiente, Airman 2nd class Gener Laguindam, Petty officer 3 Edgardo Rodriguez and Police officer l Danilo Maalab.

1 comment:

summer rain said...

Seldom can we find people like them who are worthy of emulation.