Wednesday, June 15, 2011

FATHER'S DAY CONFUSION

FATHER’S DAY CONFUSION

The coming Sunday, June 19th is Father’s Day in the Philippines ( it is different dates in other countries) as well as the 150th Birthday of our Nation’s Father, Dr. Jose Rizal. I am reminded of a somehow memorable experience a few years ago.

That Sunday, the Parish Priest greeted all the churchgoing fathers, Happy Father’s Day! He even gave special blessings to all the fathers present whom the priest requested to stand up. There were more than a dozen of us who stood up for the blessing.

After the mass I was expecting some greetings at least from my wife and children who were all away from me that day. Came noontime and no greetings received. I felt so isolated that eventually turned to loneliness.

No greeter was felt till nighttime. Was it all I deserved after having been lucky enough to be specially blessed early in the morning? I was about to go to bed with a heavy heart but before doing so I decided to greet a father friend just in case no one greeted him too.

“Hope this is not too late, but Happy Father’s Day to you!”, I texted him. He replied quickly. “What too late are you saying? You are one week too early.

So, it turned out that because Mother’s day fell on the second Sunday of May, the Priest thought Father’s Day was second Sunday of June… and so the confusion that almost turned me suicidal.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Have an authentic record of important dates and send your greetings correctly.

No comments: