Thursday, January 3, 2013

LEARNING EXPERIENCES It has been agreed upon. Our two daughters who were with their families here in the Philippines would spend Christmas Eve with us in the province, together with our Bachelor son who, again surprised us direct from Australia. Came New Years Eve my wife and I were ready to meet the New Year alone together. Our Bachelor son was expected to be with his friends then to my daughters family at BF Homes. After having been loaded with heavy foods during the Christmas gathering and not expecting any coming visitors, we decided to hide inside the refrigerator all the untouched left-over foods and fruits after agreeing with each other that nothing but plain rice and fried dried ‘danggit’ fish which that time was a gustatory treasure after the Christmas extravagance, would be on the table. On display were only two melons and one ripe pineapple. We started our lunch without any special expectation when suddenly our Bachelor son again surprised us from nowhere. (He has been surprising us every now and then, possibly preparing us for bigger and more pleasant surprise). The setting he saw with my wife and I sharing plain rice and fried ‘danggit’ fish must have touched my son so much that for a moment he was speechless. We told him we reserved our roasted chicken to go with red wine for the Midnight dinner. All our helpers were on vacation too with their own families so my wife and I divided the work between us. I realized how tired our helpers got while doing their daily chores. I also got a firsthand picture of the clear panorama filling our inner vision as we continue aging away from our offspring. I attended the anticipated New Year’s Eve Mass while my wife stayed at home to to have good rest as she also ‘guarded’ the house. After the Mass I lighted a big candle plus seven colorful little ones for prosperity. When the Church bells signaled the coming of the New Year I opened the gate to welcome it as I lighted several ‘luces’ alone, one after another while my wife also lighted the others at the open terrace where she stayed alone to guard the foods against the hungry cats. Then, with red wine, roasted chicken and some other goodies we ate together both contemplating silently the tragedy and fun of senior moments. I told my wife the so many things we must Thank God. Five healthy grown-up children, four children-in-law, one bachelor son who were all college graduates and were gainfully employed plus twelve normal and healthy grandchildren growing happily like little angels, we couldn’t ask for more, although an additional daughter-in-law and endless number of grandchildren coming our way were all welcome. We can leave this world with smile. (January 4, 2013)

No comments: