Tuesday, August 26, 2008

HONEYMOONER'S WORLD

HONEYMOONER’S WORLD

My 19 year old pretty neighbor got married to a Syrian national. It was a simple wedding officiated by a Judge in Quezon City. The reception that followed was simple too: Beef, chicken and ‘no pork’ please. It was complete with fruit salad and other desserts.

As a gift to them my wife and I offered our extension guest house for their honeymoon. My newly married neighbor who is also my niece hesitated first but later realized it’s practicality considering that it was located just at the other side of the fence from her house.

As I am writing this, it is now 11:45 a.m. and the newly weds have not shown signs that they needed breakfast. I don’t know if I will prepare lunch as honeymooners are unpredictable. They could stay together for a whole day without being affected by their other biological needs such as their primitive urge to eat or to drink. Those are not important to them.

What only matters to them actually is their newly found world. A world without food, a world without water, or without other amenities… just a mystical world with each other. Honeymooners must be deaf too, because the Karaoke is playing deafeningly loud from the bride’s house and they seem so unconcerned as if they hear nothing at all. Meantime I don’t know what to do. I cannot go to the Netcafe to open my internet accounts, I don’t know what to prepare. I wonder if they would even need to lunch.

Honeymooners are interesting people. They seem to be out of their minds and out of this world, yet their world is celestial in nature, never mind if the groom is a Muslim and the bride, a Christian – they are enjoying a kind of heavenly bliss, seemingly endless, simply eternal.

Any body who could invent a chemical or a drink concoction that when taken could keep a honeymooner’s feeling for a long, long time, that there would no longer be war or misunderstandings as every one has only to take the honeymooner’s pill to feel perpetually in honeymoon even with his enemies, would easily be very rich.

As I am contemplating on the honeymooners now in my extension guest house I am beginning to experience a nostalgic memory of my own honeymoon. No one offered us a guest house honeymoon gift because ours was a whirlwind wedding… we simply and quietly eloped. That was long ago… thirty eight years to be exact. We didn’t experience the ecstasy of a honeymooner’s world but our own created world was like a very different kind of galaxy uniquely different from anyone’s experience in the past, in the present and possibly in the future.

No comments: