Tuesday, December 9, 2008

THE SLITHERING DEVIL

THE SLITHERING DEVIL

I was about to brush my teeth early this morning. I opened the overhead shelf where I kept my toothbrush and toothpaste. A dark brown snake with the circumference of the big toe suddenly fell in front of me and proceeded crawling here and there.

I must have shouted so nervously for help that my two helpers came like lightning but the fear all over me was even magnified.

Still very vivid in my mind was the show on Television about “Pinoy Fear Factor” when one of the “participantes” named Jose was bitten twice by snakes floating on a giant glass jar where Jose dived for the coins as part of the contest.

Snakes always scared me since time immemorial. Possibly it was imprinted in my mind that it was the animal first used by the devil to manifest itself in successfully tempting the first woman created by God.

Ever since, snakes with their deadly venom has always been associated and connected with something bad, scary and deadly. My most recent experience with the serpent still carries a memory that always reminded me of the slithering devil.

Our provincial house was directly connected to a mini forest which in turn was connected to a live brook, the reason why there were many small animals such as snakes, lizards, wild cats, etc. Nature’s beauty and splendor was forever wonderful if only there were no serpents roaming too.

No comments: