Friday, May 30, 2008

THE INTERNET

THE INTERNET

It thrilled me no end when I opened the internet and found four of my children on line. Two of them are in Australia, one is in Canada, and one is in BF Homes, ParaƱaque. Only the one in Caloocan City is not on line. My eldest told me about his newborn son who is suffering from colds. My youngest must be very busy that he did not have time to chat. The one in Canada related to me their different, challenging and intriguing experience while adjusting in a new country with entirely new culture. The one in ParaƱaque , Metro Manila proudly told me her interesting experiences with her two very smart daughters.

Yes, globalization made it easier for family members to be on different parts of the world but the modern technology made it easier also for everyone to keep in touch with one another. Keeping in touch with one another, I think, is the secret of unity and continuity. It is too good that in spite of my age I am still somehow updated with use of modern technologies like the internet. It is the only thing that keeps me connected with my far away children.

We didn’t talk about anything too important or too relevant this morning but what we did for a few minutes was enough to make my day. I hope that the effect on my children is the same.

When I took up the basic course in computer my intention was only to make revenge with my children who were so impatient to explain to me the many confusing computer terminologies. While taking the short course I was not actually the student because every morning I taught my instructor what to teach me like on the first day I said: “I don’t know anything about this animal”, while pointing to the computer, “First , teach me how to open and close it without danger of destroying it or me being electrocuted”. The following day I told him to introduce me to the terminologies which were all Greek to me. I was so astonished when I learned that Mouse was not an animal, Menu had no reference to food, Hardware was not sold in hardware stores, Icons were not Saints or Great People, Bullets do not come from guns, etc., etc.

When I learned the basic, I surprised my wife and my children when they came home one afternoon and saw me sitting confidently in front of the computer and as people used to say, after that, the rest was history. So I am now computer literate though there are still so many things I should learn to be competent.

There was a time when I used to be the ‘Walking Encyclopedia’ to my children. They approached me for anything they wanted to know. With the computer we are now almost on equal footing, though I have to consult my youngest son for anything that goes wrong with it. With a website, a blog spot, a friendster account, a tagged account an e-mail address and access to MIRC and many more who would like to leave this world soon?

No comments: