Thursday, November 13, 2008

THE MORAL LESSON

THE MORAL LESSON

Christmas was just around the corner. The urge to put up Christmas decor was getting stronger and stronger but the conscience was feeling guilty to bring out multi-colored lights and tinsels while the whole world was in crisis.

It was like this during the first Christmas if we remember…but the heavens opened and lights flooded the universe while the angels were singing to welcome the Messiah who was born that day.

I found it not illogical to retrieve old decorative Christmas materials to finally welcome Christmas with joy and hope. I thought it wouldn’t be difficult as It has been my habit to put all Christmas needs at one particular area in our storage room for ease in finding them when needed.

But the constant change of helpers lately in attempt to find a better one also changed the storage routine. Now I couldn’t find the multi-colored lights; the tinsels were not where they should be; Christmas trees, angels , reindeers, santas and even the Manger characters were nowhere to be found.

I was greatly upset that when I finally found the twinkling set of angels, stars and Christmas trees I hurriedly started hanging them while the helpers were still trying to find the other items. I was in that high-tempered mood when I climbed a round table in attempt to reach the hook to hang the angel. Because I was a bit irritated I didn’t realize that the foot of the round table was centrally located so that when I stepped on one end it immediately tilted and faster than the Rudolf’s sleigh the table tumbled down in loud crackling sound bringing with it the glass flower base, the big brass candle holder the thick glass on top of it and of course the whole of me.

I felt pains here and there all over my body and after a while I noticed a strong oozing of blood down my left leg. I didn’t know what actually hit me but I probably hit the concrete side of the terrace that badly wounded my left leg.

It was now a few days ago and I was still limping, hopingly not until Christmastime. I told my experience to my children abroad and my youngest son in Australia told me the moral lesson. “Be careful in what ever you are doing… you are not very young anymore”.

No comments: