Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A CHARITABLE END OF MOURNING

A CHARITABLE END OF MOURNING

The End of Mourning for my sister who died last year was scheduled on February 27, 2009 which fell on her 70th Birthday. Now being the only sibling alive I was supposed to make decision on how to commemorate the occasion.

In deference with the mood of the moment during this critical period of our nation’s history I found it relevant that instead of offering lunch, our family shall donate to a worthy charitable cause, aside from Masses and Prayers for the soul of my sister.

Because my decision was against traditional practice many opinions came out in the open criticizing my stand. I was almost tempted to go along with the crowd but on second thought I felt I simply couldn’t afford to let popular opinion shape even a single one of my decision—it might seem harmless to do something just to make everyone else happy, but in the end I knew it will put me in an uncomfortable false situations. Being popular was not worth sacrificing my independent thinking on my goals. So I pursued what I wanted to do – push as hard as I wanted and ignore what other people think. I have to stay true to my idealistic nature.

One of the first recipients of our donation was a poor boy studying at the Public School. He found a wallet with bunch of money and the I.D. of the owner, a student at the Private School.

Instead of taking advantage of the money he found, the boy waited at the gate of the Private School looking for the student in the I.D. picture to come out so that he could return the wallet. The Security guard helped him find the owner who at that time wasn’t yet aware that he lost his wallet.

The Principal of the Private School was touched by the unusual kind behavior of the poor boy. She offered him scholarship but he still lacked so much in personal needs. It was in this aspect that my intended donation found its way. I offered the boy to live in my house which was near the Private School and I would take responsibility for all his personal needs while under observation before I finally take him fully as a foster child.

He told me that his mother was complaining of backache, his father and a brother were tailors; other brothers were farmers while the young ones were studying in public school. They were nine siblings.

I decided to visit the place where he lived at the far end of the town. I brought some goodies and with I guide I walked through about half a kilometer of winding foot walks amidst barking dogs before I reached the small house made out of wood, bamboo and nipa. It was twilight time when I made the visit and my attention was caught by the boy’s two sisters who were then studying at one corner without light as there was no electricity in their house. All the time that I was there I could feel the disciplined behavior of everyone. Even the toddlers were seemingly well behaved. I hope my board and lodging donation would be of help.

The other recipient was a boy with intestinal obstruction who couldn’t submit to a surgical operation due to poverty. I remember that Psalm verse that says: “Whenever you possibly can, do good to people who need it”.

No comments: