Saturday, February 21, 2009

TAMPERED PROFILE

TAMPERED PROFILE

While in a hurry one day because of an urgent text message to go home because someone was waiting, I failed to log out from my face book account. A hacker must have found it open and possibly just out of mere thrill my profile was tampered. Somehow I was made to appear 16 years old and single, aside from many other false entries.

For that supposedly simple incident I received a lot of unfavorable texts, and e-mails from greatly disturbed friends and relatives asking me why I was so corny, stupid, careless, irresponsible, etc. for trying hard to be a teen-ager.

I was of course doubly disturbed too since I honestly didn’t know how it happened. I took up my quick basic computer course just to learn how to type and how to chat. In fact in our municipality I was probably one of the very few who were computer literate septuagenarians.

Now I was beginning to realize why there were those who were saying that the computer was a devil’s advocate. I started enjoying chatting at the MIRC, whatever than means. It was where I learned some abbreviations like CTC. GTG, LOL, ROFL, FYI ,BTW, etc.,etc.

Then I was introduced to Yahoo Messenger, Hotmail. Aol, then to Friendster, Adult Friendster, Multiply, Tagged, Facebook, Fixters, etc., etc. In all these accounts I used different name and password because I thought it should be that way. It took me quite a while before I learned how to use the webcam, the USB, how to download or to browse.

For most senior citizens all those things were exhausting, like finding thousands of answers to a question while surfing or goggling or watching U tubes.

I was wondering where these new technologies would bring all of us. They said time would come when the machine shall control everyone. When that time comes I hope I would no longer be around to disobey or who knows? I might even be revived back to life by the technology to serve it endlessly.

1 comment:

summer rain said...

Technology makes the world shrink. With just a click of the mouse you can turn things possible.However, it also draws physical contact farther. I would not be surprised if one day, humans chat with animals. When worst comes to worst, having sex with someone physically absent.How's that?