Friday, February 6, 2009

SMART DRIVERS???

SMART DRIVERS???

I was going to Tagaytay to withdraw some amount from my ATM account at BPI. I was comfortably sitting at the bus seat behind the driver. By my left side was an ordinary looking man. Everything was going on very smoothly until we reached Mendez Crossing.

The man by my side, I didn’t know by what authority, suddenly stood up cursing a bus then appearing from Mendez. I was a bit irritated and puzzled while the man immediately commanded the driver of our bus to go fast ahead of the bus from Mendez. The driver uncomplainingly followed the instructions of the man to the extent of not picking passengers along the way just to be ahead of the other bus. The man who gave instructions must be a driver too of the same bus company intending to go somewhere.

The bus from Mendez also tried to overtake and when we reached the intersection marked by a Gas Station, the two buses almost collided; the loud screeching of the breaks was heard by everyone. Both drivers felt challenged and so they tried their best driving skills to outmaneuver each other while putting all the passengers at the risk of meeting a vehicular accident.

I was lucky I had to alight at BPI bank at Tagaytay Rotunda but at that moment the bus from Mendez successfully overtook the bus that I left. Then both went on like angry bulls trying to kill each other in the midst of other street vehicles.Only God knew what would happen before the two buses reach their destinations.

The incident was not isolated. It was a daily occurrence. Getting out of the bus and transferring to another one wasn’t a solution for the other bus was also racing against other buses. There simply ought to be a law that could be implemented on this matter.

No comments: