Wednesday, June 18, 2008

GONE WERE THE HELPERS

GONE WERE THE HELPERS

Having been successful in discharging some of my less performing helpers I was left at last with only two: My gardener and my all-around errand boy. The errand boy had to move to the farm to take over the place of the last farmer who just left. Everything was in perfect perspective that at last I was able to make a genuine sigh of relief.

Came night time the “new” farmer texted me saying that he had no light and that he was the only one in the vicinity without light. I suspected that it was a simple fuse problem but since he didn’t know electrical trouble-shooting and since he was far from the nearest neighbor I have to send my gardener to assist him.

Now I was left alone which was ok with me as I was used to being alone on many occasions. I sat comfortably to watch T.V. shows while folding pieces of paper to make origami cubes that I later put in clear glasses. This was my way of whiling away the time. I pampered myself with brewed coffee and some crunchy cookies.

I have been accustomed to this kind of life and I was not complaining. During commercial breaks I reviewed my ‘Nigerian Diary’ which I found to be thrillingly interesting. Now I found new thing to make myself busy. I shall transfer excerpts from this diary to my flash disc for posterity.

I was not saddened by these experiences; in fact it was only now I fully realized that aging actually was not a limiting situation in life. Aging could be a source of magnificent inspirations if one knew how to play the game rightfully. Very few senior citizens could find joy in isolation. And before I finished jotting this note for my blog spot my gardener was back while the TV show I was watching was still ongoing.

No comments: