Saturday, June 7, 2008

PUBLIC OPINION

PUBLIC OPINION

I was waiting for my watch being repaired one day. I noticed the small boxlike cabinet about 1x1/2 meter containing all that the repairman needed to do his job. He occupied an area of about 2x2 meters at one corner of an electrical shop. About five other costumers came and we were all seated outside the 2x2 meter territory of the watch repairman.

I realized that to earn a living it is not always necessary to occupy a big space. This repairman was happily doing his chores while talking almost endlessly about anything while we, the costumers, listened as we have no other alternative at the moment. Every once in a while someone makes comment either by objecting or agreeing with the watch man. He seemed not to run out of topic which I formerly thought was a monopoly of barbers.

After having heard a lot about increasing prices of almost anything, the topic suddenly turned to cell phone, the hero and villain of the new generation. A mother lamented how her son would rather skip his lunch just so he can buy load for his mobile. She wanted to confiscate his cell phone but feared that her son turn to be an outcast in this texting society. After all even those who are complaining of extreme poverty owned a cell phone.

Another waiting costumer complained about I-pods and other modern toys of our supposedly enlightened society. In all the topics being discussed the watch repairman was so authoritative in inserting his “two cents worth” of opinion.

Every now and then I tried to stir the gossipy topics of discussion to the delight of everyone. So this was how public opinions were formed. No textbook can really provide the perfect guideline for public opinion to be totally acceptable. We just have to take these opinions as they were gradually being “cooked” like a delicious ‘chop suey’.

As the repair of the watch problems were being finished one by one, the customers finally were all gone except for me because I brought four problematic time pieces. I was left with him who finally agreed with me that life, to be worthwhile must be enjoyed as we both did that day, except that his 2x2 meter territory where his 1x1/2 meter cabinet stood earned more than enough for the family to survive while I went home with the echo of the familiar “public opinion”.

No comments: