Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tribute to a Father

MY MOTHER’S HUSBAND (A tribute to my father on Father's Day)

A very simple man, he could have been a sculptor or an architect had he been given a better chance. But that was the order of the time among his folks---attain an elementary education and that was all.

He married an equally simple woman with more simple taste in life. Easily, he became a father of ten siblings. I happened to be the youngest. Thank God, family planning wasn’t yet common practice that time.

For as long as I live, his memories will linger in my mind in a manner entirely different from the way other children will remember their father.
With feelings of guilt I now recall his death while I was in Nigeria, Africa. He was already sick when I went there and so I said I was just attending a medical conference. Before he died he told someone that I “lied to him”.

But I am glad he didn’t suffer long. He died with dignity typically his own. All his life he resented cheating and opportunism. In all his work — and he could do many things — he was always honest and sincere.

He was a carpenter and a self-made "architect” of sort. The house where I was born was built by him. He was the FIRST IN TOWN to use straight posts with cement foundation.

During the Japanese time he invented a cigarette-maker, a coconut milk-extractor (HAPITAN), a corn-grinder that also mechanically moved a giant fan, and assorted toys which we, and other children, fully enjoyed.

I will never forget his “fighting wind vane” atop our asis tree and his toys made of bayugo (the fruit of gugo). He had a trap for catching monkeys (PARUKUT), another one for catching wild cats (musang and alamid) which is called PAKWIS, a different one to catch birds (BANTAY), and still another to catch rats, he called this BANGKULONG.
His stories were perfect lullabies repeated almost every night at bedtime. He had a way of waking us in the morning by pulling our hands up while saying: “Haba-haba, laki, taba!”.

He was a veteran of World War II and a very good wartime father. Because of him my memories of war were nothing but fun and playful adventures. He was a practical catholic and a very understanding husband. He shunned controversies and heated arguments but he worked very diligently. In our small community he was the PIONEER of BALUSTERS, HOLLOW BLOCKS, DECORATED STAIRWAYS and TOMBS, not to mention coffin COVERED WITH GLASS opening enough to show the face of the corpse.

He used to take a bath at the nearby brook every morning, then carried home one hard stone (BATONG BUHAY) each time. He picked buttons, nails and anything of possible future use, along the way, together with coins and other valuables.
Most of all he was a musician, a clarinet soloist. He loved to join picnics, excursions and enjoyed carnivals. In his diary he had a vivid description of the first automobile that came to town, and like most people who keep a diary, he was very orderly.

He was a very different father but I would not exchange him for anyone in spite of his shortcomings which were few and acceptable. My father, GAUDENCIO VARIAS AVIÑANTE was the son of Fernando Aviñante and Juanita Varias.
I know this is much too late but I want to greet you Happy Father's Day!

No comments: