Wednesday, June 25, 2008

PRAYERS GRANTED

PRAYERS GRANTED BUT…
Excerpts from My Nigerian Diary

30 August 78: Petition-prayers were granted today. We, the Massey Street Children’s Hospital doctors hitch rode with the Island Maternity Group and just worked calmly and confidently. As expected we were checked by the Chief Consultant, Dr. Rilwan. But we have already finished checking all the patients before 12:00 noon. So at 1:20 p.m. we walked for the first time from MSCH to Kayola House where the Lagos State Health Management Board was housed.

We were told yesterday by our colleagues that Mr. Bakari, the LSHBM Secretary was very mad at the MSCH doctors because of the letter sent by the Secretary yesterday. But we decided to face him squarely and just tell him the truth. All the while I was praying and surrounding Mr. Bakari with the Peace and Love of Christ.

Surprisingly (or perhaps miraculously) when Mr. Bakari saw us he was so accommodating, so fatherly and so kind to us. He even promised to personally see Dr. Rilwan so he could personally discuss our transport problem. Then he ordered his messenger to immediately meet the Manager of Palm Heights Hotel so that we could be transported to MSCH daily, meantime that our transport problem was hanging and our car loans were not yet ready. Thanks God…

Five days later I learned that many of my companions at Palm Heights Hotel like Dr. Reyes, Dr. Del Mundo, Dr. Cagampan, Dr. Macaraeg, Dr. Rivera and Dr. Mendoza were all planning to transfer to another dwelling place where, according to the rumors, they could earn more Naira Illegally. Only Dr. Lumbay and I would be left. I was really at a loss because my transport problem was not yet fully solved. I also needed more Naira so I left everything to God. I was sure He would again enlighten me and guide me to the right decision.

Again I surrounded those who were planning to transfer with the Peace and Love of Christ so they would include me and Dr. Lumbay with their plans while at the same time invoking God to continue guiding us.

Prayers again granted two days later. Doctors Reyes, Rivera, Mendoza and I went to visit Carlton Hotel to see our colleagues there. It was not a miserable kind of life there specially considering that they could earn extra amount for sacrificing a little discomfort , a little mess and little more work.

It was also there where we heard the story about the ramble that happened at “Palarong Pilipino” (the place where Filipinos gathered every Sunday) three days ago. A certain Filipino Seaman quarreled with a Nigerian Taxi driver when another Nigerian intruded. Other Filipinos also intruded and this resulted into a rumble. The Nigerian passenger reported the case to the Police and many Filipinos were pointed by her and were apprehended.

The Philippine Ambassador came to help but to no avail. He was even insulted. The case was brought to court with four Filipinos involved.

The Ambassador gave a warning to Filipinos to keep cool and calm because if the case would be published in Nigerian Newspapers that Filipinos mobbed a Nigerian, all Filipinos would be in hot water. The Ambassador promised that should the case go that far, he would immediately request for a Military Airplane from the Philippines to recall all Filipinos in Nigeria. It created fear and panic among us. But I was sure God knew better. Even if we would be recalled back to the Philippines it would surely be under smooth and diplomatic procedures. It was in cases like this that President and Mrs. Marcos could show their best.

7 September 78: Father Slattery brought me to the college he founded 22 years ago, St. Finbarr College, a few minutes drive from Palm Heights Hotel. He was trying his best to entertain me as he could feel how I felt in a foreign country away from my family and without money.

It was Fr. Slattery who defined to me Nigeria (Lagos, particularly) as ‘a place where some poor souls suffer for a while before going to heaven’. In short, to him, Nigeria was Purgatory although I thought it was not that bad really. I only had misconceptions. I was made to believe that in Nigeria doctors were extraordinarily accommodated and were treated very specially. Now I was beginning to think otherwise.

Two days later. We. (Drs. Reyes, del Mundo, Cagampan, Macaraeg, Lumbay,Rivera Mendoza and myself) planned to move to Skyline Hotel at Ikurudo road. It was more accessible to transportation and could earn extra by special arrangement with the Hotel Manger. We were to cook our own food and take care of our “house”. In the afternoon our request was granted.

We moved there. Four rooms with common sala and common dining room. In one room was Doctors Del Mundo and Reyes, in another room were Doctors Rivera and Mendoza, at the third were Doctors Cagampan and Macaraeg and with me was Dr. Lumbay, my only disappointment because he was too childish, so carefree and very untidy.

No comments: