Monday, March 30, 2009

MODERATION

MODERATION

I was almost caught flat-footed when a smart 15 year old boy, yesterday, asked me point blank: “What is the best advice you can give to everyone?”

For a while I was speechless while rolling my eyes upwards groping for an acceptable answer. I was tempted to say “Be good” but I knew it was an overused advice very rarely implemented or practiced.

I took one deep breath before I had the nerve to say: “Moderation in everything… yes, in thought, in words, in deed!” The boy was the one stunned by what I said but then approvingly agreed by saying: “Yes, I think that is the best advice I ever heard”.

If we moderate our thought, we would not be entertaining impure ideas or plans as we would only be thinking positively. Our attitude on our selves, on other people and on things would always be pleasant and encouraging.

If we moderate our words we would not say bad things about people, places or events. We would be picking good adjectives to describe anything.

If we moderate our deed we would not be harming ourselves or other people. We would not overwork. We would not overeat. Our health would be maintained to its best.

It sounds too elementary but is it not a good advice?

No comments: