Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Confession of an Ex-convict

He was a 'bad boy', he admitted... before. But now after having stayed inside the prison bars for years, he learned many lessons and discovered the meaning of life. He decided to live the life that he just discovered. Now that he is released from prison, he is extremely happy for at last he will be able to use the rest of his life-service for his mother, for goodness, for works worthy in the eyes of God.

The way he expressed to me his feelings,I was convinced that he had sincerely repented for his past shortcomings against society, that he was willing to live a new life in a new world... but his mother, the cause of his joy, the purpose of his new plans in life, while he was in prison, 'turned bad'. His very young brother told him the story which he did not want to believe at first but which turned out to be very true. Now, upon discovery of the facts, his subconscious was again rebelling against his reason. He could not by all means explain why things happened that way.

He told me everything and I myself felt speechless at first. He talked so calmly and so dignified that you would not believe he was ever in prison or in trouble. Yet, I could feel the pumping of his heart, the gnashing of his teeth, the confusion in his mind and the feeling of disbelief though all the time he remained composed.

Tactfully I tried to let him feel psychologically comfortable. I showed to him the clear picture of his situation and how to go about it. All the while he was very attentive and I took advantage of it. I talked and talked to let him feel he was not alone. I made him realize that I was sympathizing with him but at the same time I made him discover that even his mother could not be blamed since his being bad before was the root of all the trouble.

Finally, I implanted into his mind that his trouble was beyond human capabilities and for problems like this, only God could help because without God "he could do nothing". He felt consoled and showed a hopeful smile then thanked me and promised to come closer to God.

No comments: