Tuesday, November 27, 2007

MARITAL DIFFICULTIES

When I married I thought it was a bed of roses. When the children came out I realized that marriage was a sacrifice. I thought rearing babies was the most difficult and I hoped to be able to rest when they grow up.

They grew up and I discovered that they were even more difficult to deal with. And just when I thought I have adjusted well enough to my "grown-ups" new problems sprouted left and right. Their lovers, their love ones, their friends coming from diferent places bringing with them different culture and family background.

Parents cannot just keep quiet in their children's choices for their lifetime partners. Soon enough they started forming their own families... getting married one after another.This experience made me stare blankly at times. Not only that, they began migrating to other countries with their families.

Now two sons are based in Australia, a daughter moved to Canada, another daughter is planning to go to London after her marriage. Only a daughter married to a politician shall probably be left in the Philippines. It is good that my wife and I are old enough to say goodbye to the world. But hope I wish we had more bonding times with our grandchildren.

I think I have tried enough and have exerted all I can in rearing my children adequately and properly to face the new dimensions of their existence with their own chosen paths in life. I can feel a great sense of fulfillment though I know in many ways I didn't give them the best.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Doc Avinante,

Happy to have stumbled upon your blog. It has been a long time since we last saw you (at your Alabang home and clinic). You would probably recall me as one of the agents who went to your house in Cavite for hypnotherapy. More than the therapy, it was the pep talk that ensued which lifted my spirits. You are one of the best doctors I know. You really go out of your way to share your knowledge and help if you could. I am glad that although retired, you're still making waves, and in the NET at that! Kudos to you Doc!

Lou