Friday, November 2, 2007

REMEMBERING THE DEPARTED

November 2 is All Soul's Day. This is the feast of all souls. This is supposed to be the day for the dear departed but very few cares to remember them this day. We have done everything yesterday... offering of prayers, candles and flowers.

In my case, every time that I am reminded of someone who is already dead, I offer a short prayer for his soul. If I am reminded of several I offer prayers for the souls in purgatory.

When I pass-by a house where there is a wake or when I encounter a funeral while commuting I see to it that I always offer a prayer for the soul of whoever is dead.

That is my way of helping and cooperating with the departed members of the "Church Suffering". In turn they also help us, the still living members of the "Church Militant". In their dimension of existence they could observe us better and they are in a better position to know our problems and extend their help. This is in the hope that some day we shall become members of the "Church Triumphant".when we shall all be enjoying he beatific vision.

In our Apostle's Creed there is a portion that mentions our belief on the communion of saints. While on earth, the most that we can do is offer them prayers every now and then or in my case after my evening prayer and morning prayers.

No comments: