Friday, April 11, 2008

A GRANDSON IN THE GLOBAL VILLAGE

A GRANDSON IN THE GLOBAL VILLAGE

After the joys, the cheers, the happiness and everything good brought by five grand daughters, the coming of a grandson brings about a different kind of excitement.

Like flowers with dainty colors and pleasant scents, grand daughters are lovely dolls that brighten every corner of the house bringing songs and laughter everywhere.

However, a grandson is another thing. He is the flag-bearer of the family name. He is the potent link to the future generation, the bridge of the coming events in history. Of course I want to see my son in person. But he is in Australia where he was born, miles and miles away from me. To go there and cuddle my grandson is not an easy decision for me, an aging "lolo".

Like other senior "lolos' anywhere in the world, I am already experiencing many pains, and many changes in the functions of my systems. My organs are not getting any younger. Like me, they are tired, their functions are greatly diminished, and they are no longer as useful as they used to be.

A general and thorough physical check-up will surely reveal the bitter truth that I am no longer very healthy; that I will need this and that kind of medications; that my life shall go on with so many limitations. The medications in turn, aside from releasing their curative effects, shall also give out many side effects that shall in turn need more treatment.

I know this will be the beginning of a burdensome existence. My life will never be the same as it will be getting worse. As of now I am feeling in every way ok. Will my intention to see my grandson in person be the trigger mechanism to a world of ailments that I may later find too difficult to handle?

Furthermore it is not very easy to leave a house to the fallible care and decisions of helpers. I am not turning into a negative thinker, for I am just seeing things the normal way, as they really are.

The truth is not always exciting to accept as most of the time it hurts. But aging has its own challenges that usually are not simple enough to deal with.

The strong lure of a newborn grandson is there, requesting for a visit but the accumulated obstacles of aging are also there, greatly opposing. Surely, visiting grand children in Australia could be most fulfilling experience but only if this visit could also accomplish a visit to grand children in Canada.

This is the age of globalization and it is not surprising for families to have members all over the world. But is not always advantageous as it separates families physically to a depressing reality no matter how brightly you want to look at it.

The only best thing to do is to leave it to God. So I pray: "Lord, Your will... nothing more, nothing less and nothing else. Amen".

No comments: