Thursday, April 17, 2008

WRONG STEP

WRONG STEP

I slipped from the fourth step of our stairs while holding a bag of goodies on my way down to the terrace. My left elbow and left lower back were hurt – but not seriously. I am sure no bones were fractured. The pain is tolerable except that I am also coughing and every time I cough and sneezes my left lower back would create excruciating pain that forces me to exhibit different bodily distortions to temporarily lessen the discomfort.

I simple muscular trauma can do that much trouble to a senior citizen. But I don’t admit that it was a senior citizen’s wrong step that caused the accident but rather because a new maid under training, in her attempt to impress me, tried to clean the floor and the stairs ‘till they were shining and slippery. I cannot blame her for a very good intention (sigh).

Anyway I lied on my biomat for infra-red and anion therapy. It helped much but the following day I discovered that it is not only sneezing and coughing that causes the pain but also simple giggling and heartfelt laughing. Back to my biomat ritual but meantime I also looked for a professional reflexologist. Someone recommended a young man who was trained by an orthopedic surgeon.

The first session with the reflexologist relaxed and calmed all my muscles except the traumatized part. I know it will take time – possibly days or weeks for the traumatized muscles to function normally. Meantime I am moving in slow motion very typical of many seniors. If this is God’s way to remind me to slow down, so be it.

Anyway I can still do my routine sit-up exercises every morning. I still enjoy reading and writing. My zest for life is still intact. I still go regularly to the net cafe to chat, to e-mail, to surf and to blog. I can still attend to my garden and still serve as a shoulder-to-cry-on for people with problems. Who says I am old? Not even that shinny and slippery step could insist that I am.

No comments: