Friday, April 18, 2008

RITUALCOUGHING

RITUAL COUGHING

After indulging myself in medical practice for forty seven years I thought I have been exposed to all kinds of coughing and is already an authority on it. Not until I stumbled on one shiny stair step that traumatized my left lower back when I slipped downwards. (Pls. read Wrong Step)

The trauma was not that hard and could have been unnoticed had I not been coughing because I happened to be allergic to summer dust. Now every time I cough the traumatized muscle of my back is somehow stretched and an atypical pain results. Likewise when I sneeze or laugh.

The pain though not very disturbing invites a kind of movement that results into a ritualistic pattern only me with my backache could produce. When the urge to cough begins, my shoulder twists a little to the right as my head moves a bit backward.

Meantime my right hand moves counterclockwise very slowly as it is brought towards the traumatized portion as if to shield it from a coming attack. This is followed by the movements of my eyelids as if flirting for attention.

The maneuvers are supported by invoking the Holy Spirit to “make me an instrument of God’s healing power”as I touch the affected part. It sounds funny but it is the only ritual that works to minimize the otherwise excruciating pain. Doing the ritual is not really difficult as it be comes automatic but the result on the onlookers is another thing. Some thinks I am a victim of Bell’s palsy or a long standing stroke.

As I result it is no longer thrilling to chat at the net café to avoid other chatters from entertaining wild thoughts whenever I have to cough. Attending the Church service also becomes a problem as other Churchgoers shall be wondering while I suddenly exhibit interesting movements.

For a person like me with a very healthy sense of humor, forcing to suppress my laughter is a kind of flagellation but it is very amusing to discover these funny incidents after experiencing a simple accident brought about by a new maid trying to make an impression.

As a compromise to myself I tried not to expose myself to dust to prevent allergic coughing as if it is possible during summer and you happen to be in the province. I also keep away from people saying funny things to avoid simple giggling or hilarious laughing. I thought it is that easy until my friends start inquiring what my problem is and why I suddenly turned too serious.

Even during my “wildest“meditation I never thought that a mild back trauma could result to so many changes in my lifestyle as well as that of others. Come to think of that – life is nothing but entertainment with the two faces – the sad and the funny one. Let us live it well.

No comments: