Thursday, February 28, 2008

CAREER DEGENERATION

CAREER DEGENETRATION
AND AGING GAINS
Nov. 11, 1993

Since a week ago no insurance clients came for medical examination. It was probably because last month was contest month in Sunlife of Canada and the agents squeezed the insurance market to the bones.

But Philamlife is on its year end rush and I am expecting many insurance applicants… but there were none. Sign of difficult times ahead? Well, the whole country is in bad shape but it is not the reason why President Ramos went to U.S.A. yesterday to start a two-week working visit. Private patients are also scarce. The other day I was called by Mex Robertson, an Australian, none followed afterwards.

Something must come out of this unhappy moment of my professional life. It must be good because one other hurting pain of aging is the inevitable pain of CAREER DETERIORATION.

Like it or not, one’s professional capabilities generally deteriorates and when the moment comes one must gracefully accept it or it will cause an intolerable depression. At this point I am bringing back my memory to those people whom I have helped professionally during my prime time. They were many but many of them are themselves deteriorating. The cycle of life must go on. Live and let live.

DEAFNESS runs strongly in our family. My share of it is beginning to tax my conversational ability. There are already many words that I cannot clearly understand when I am talking to someone. Even when watching a movie I cannot understand most of the thing said.

This is another aging pain that worries me. There are so many deaf members of my clan. While it is funny to listen to their conversations I am afraid to someday be the focus of that fun.

Between deafness and blindness I’ll always choose deafness, as it is better than the latter although h seeing and observing how deaf people get confused, jealous and temperamental gives me goose flesh.

Oh, come on. Hearing aids are available. In spite of some disadvantages they could compensate for all the worries.

I’ll surely hate to see my grandchildren shouting at my ears or making fun of me when my vision turned blurred. On the contrary it inspires me to anticipate that with all the aging pains both physical, emotional or psychological that may afflict me. I can always bank on my experience and wisdom. While there are aging pains, there are also aging gains.

Young people will flock to me for my stories. Researchers will approach me for historical facts. The youth will come around for counseling and advises, to correct facts, to ask for guidance or even spiritual directions.

Then all the aging pains shall be compensated and overcome by the many gains.

No comments: