Friday, February 29, 2008

CLIMBING A SHIP + THE BALANCEOF NATURE

CLIMBING A SHIP
April 26, 1994

I counted a total of 72 steps before I reached the office of the Captain. It was at the fourth floor of the big ship where I was supposed to examine Captain Rodrigo C. Failina for his insurance application with Sunlife of Canada.

There was nothing extra-ordinary except for the fact that it was my first time to climb a ship passing through a hanging “rope steps”.

From the breakwater side of Roxas Boulevard near the U.S. Embassy Building, Lori Chamoro, the insurance agent, hired a motor boat that brought the two of us to the big ship. It was a thrilling experience for one who is not quite acquainted with the sea and the ship. I didn’t realize that Manila was that “pretty” as seen from the center of the sea. I regretted not having brought my camera.

After Captain Failina I examined two more applicants then we were offered a good lunch. I was impressed by the cleanliness of every portion of the ship.

Before lunch I had a chance to go to the comfort room located near the office of the Captain. Sandwiched between the two areas is the bedroom.

It was my first time to see “live” cabins, climb stairs of a ship and left feeling good immediately after lunch. The day made me f eel so good and happy.

THE BALANCE OF NATURE
June 2, 1993 – 7:30 p.m.

The brownout is scheduled at 12 midnight to 7:00 a.m. but suddenly the light is off this early. It is followed by rain and thunder and lightning. There is thunderstorm, the reason for the sudden power cut-off.

At long last the rain is here. It will be a little cooler, everyone shall be relieved but then flood and its curse is eminent. New problems will sprout out. There will be flooding left and right. Lahar flow will threaten many communities in Central Luzon. Typhoons will be coming one after another. Plantations will be destroyed. I don’t know if I will rejoice or be frightened. It is all the same. That is life.

From the ordinary perception of ordinary mortals, daily happenings are seldom truly satisfactory. It is difficult to understand why calamities are happening every once in a while. People are confused.

But from the Divine Point of View, from the heavenly distance, all happenings are necessary for keeping order and balance in the universe. What we are experiencing here on planet earth is only a tiny spark compared to the activities going on in the vastness of galaxies and quasars. Let us leave it all to God.

No comments: