Tuesday, February 19, 2008

THREE OF THE SEVEN CHURCHES

It was along trip to Sardis, Capital of Lydia. Sardis was one of the seven Churches that the Apostles went on a mission during their time. Lydia was historically important because it was the first country to use coins.
Here in Sardis we saw the ruins of the ancient civilization. We celebrated Mass at the gymnasium at the area where the ancient swimming pool was. After lunch I saw a new toilet sign: TUVALETLER then KAPIN for female and ERKEK for male.
We then moved to Philadelphia and visited the ruins of the Church of St. John where we saw and actually touched several ancient acropagus (tombs).
Finally we visited the ruins of TREPEMEZARLIGI (Thyatira ). Just around the area we found a pharmacy and were able to buy our medical needs.
Had picture-taking with some happy local pupils who were astonished why we came “to see the stone (?)”.
COMMENT:
During a pilgrimage when many people were traveling together, minor medical problems should be expected. That was the reason why I brought with me all the necessary medicines I would or might need.
One of the pilgrims, Mr. Dequitos, probably the eldest in the group at 78 was afflicted with gallbladder infection. Thanks God, Dra. Ludy Lao brought some antibiotics that made him well in two days.
The most common aside from high blood pressure was upper respiratory tract infection. Many run out of their supplies and buying from a local pharmacy was not always easy. Sometimes the needed medicine was not available, even interpreter couldn’t decipher the brand and the generics. My abdominal problem was well taken cared off but my allergy was a bit erratic. I got it from the first hotel, the Grand Betagne inGreece, from the blanket probably or from the linen. It started as a few rashes on my thighs. I used my ointment but it quickly spread to my legs and buttocks. Taking my Fabahistin made me really groggy making my companions suspect that I was nursing a big problem or absorbing a bad vibration. Thanked God I found a drug store that sold steroids.
So, many of the girls were coughing severely that when one started even during the Mass, others followed and a symphony of coughing and sneezing went on. Thanked the Lord that Terry was not afflicted by any ailment. I knew how bad it could be the moment she started coughing.

No comments: