Sunday, October 7, 2007

HERBALS

Herbal concoctions are generally medicinal. Someone told me about her discovery after I suggested to her to include "talbos ng kamote" to her diet, as it would improve her hemoglobin. To the broth that remains in the kettle after consuming the young leaves, she added 'calamansi' juice and purplish color turned fuscia. Then she added a little sugar and it turned like a real red wine.

I shared my own experience with 'abocado' leaves giving rise to a similar concoction. I also recalled a nun who suggested to me 'cogon' root tea. This is done by boiling 'cogon' root, then adding 'calamansi' and a teaspoon of honey. She claimed that it improves virility and helps open the different chackras.

Said nun also advised me to frequently eat salad made of fresh tomatoes with "sibuyas tagalog" and the Chinese "huan soy". I am supposed to take such salad three times a day but I just couldn't tolerate "sibuyas and huan soy".

She explained to me about lapu-lapu fish. It doesn't die of sickness but almost, always, of old age... It always swims over other groups of fishes, thus the symbol of power. The nun suggested that at least weekly I should eat the head part (never the tail) of the fish as it is there were all its powers are contained.

Left over broth after boiling corn is also usually discarded, yet, this liquid is very good for the kidneys and the intestines. It is ironic that we are throwing away a lot of nutritious and medicinal liquids, such as rice washings will all its invigorating vitamin B complex.

No comments: