Monday, October 1, 2007

A LITTLE BIT OF PURGATORY

"For seven years during my college days, I was never late". I told my children one day to emphasize to them the value of punctuality. It has been my habit ever since I was a little boy to always come on time. I think I am guided by the principle that it is better one hour too soon than one minute too late...

When I make an appointment with anybody, I see to it that I am always ahead or if the one I am supposed to meet doesn't come on time I usually give additional one hour allowance for possible unexpected delaying circumstances.

The "Filipino time" of being late never taught me a lesson. I insists on punctuality although lately I discovered that it is most of the time not practical. Like during a meeting or a seminar I often waste so much time waiting for others who generally come late. Of course I read a book or do 'origamni' while waiting but it is still irritating to be waiting.

The irony of it all is when I married a woman who is so busy, so hardworking and so involved with so many businesses that she is never on time. The more irony is even doubled when all my children seem to have inherited their mother's trait. To me it is a bit of purgatory that I must cope in this world. It is highly ironic, however, that I am beginning to enjoy it all.

No comments: