Wednesday, October 17, 2007

OVERTIME

Overtime... What is it? It is the time we use to work after office hours. And what are office hours? Eight hours, twelve hours, four hours, it depends on what kind of office you are working.

A General Medical Practitioner has no formal office hours. He is at every moment of his life for as long as he lives. He is a doctor even in church while attending mass or during parties everywhere and anytime. Patient just pop-up from out of the blue to consult a medical practitioner especially if one is practicing in a small rural community.

When I hear people complaining about overtime I just smile. If anybody should complain, it must be me, a medical practitioner. But I got used to it after practicing my profession for almost 50 continuous years.

Looking back through the years, I see small but important achievements accumulating in the deep chambers of my memories. As School Physician I know the problems of students; as Company Physician I am exposed to ailments and problems of the laborers; as Insurance Medical Examiner I deal with the middle class and the elite group; as General Family Physician I treat everyone and attend to all sorts of personalitites; as Contract Worker in a foreign country I experience varied things, from the most embarassing to the most fulfilling but as Hypnotherapist I feel very proud of my various unique achievements.

Up to now in my retirement I am still doing overtime work if overtime signifies working after office hours. I am no longer very active practicing my profession but I am still overwork doing counselling to young boys and girls; attending to researchers from different schools; pacifying quarreling couples or patching-up generation gaps. But I still enjoy doing everything as they help mentain my youthful attitude in life.

No comments: