Monday, March 3, 2008

BEAUTIES

B E A U T I E S
May 11, 1994

I have never seen but now, so many beautiful girls gathered in one place. More than seventy of them were candidates for Miss Universe. Miss Iceland was beside me at the table.

It happened at Sheraton Hotel on the night of May 11, 1994. I was there because I accompanied the Firewalkers of Alfonso, Cavite who were invited to participate in t he Thanksgiving ritual, and the finale of the cultural presentation.

The Philippine Airlines sponsored it and I was contacted by its representative, Yvone Juan.

My encounter with the beauties was so especially good that I was only a kissing distance away from where all of them passed-by. Aside from the candidates, the entire guests were in their formal best and the majority of the women who were present were good looking. From the point of view of a foreigner this country must really be peopled by beautiful beings.

According to Miss Iceland, Wala Beth Arand, the country (at least the places she have seen) was fantastic. She liked the Filipino foods as well as the kindness and the hospitality of the people.

During our conversation she gave me a sample of Filipino words that she learned during her few days stay in the Philippines, such as Mabuhay, Salamat Po, May nobyo na ako, Iniibig kita , Kumusta ka, ATBP.

Before dinner, together with my son, Peter-Jonathan and his friend Mark Pascual we were almost disqualified. We didn’t have a formal invitation and so we were not given dinner stubs. I argued with the people concerned that although we were with the Firewalkers we were not firewalkers ourselves. I explained that we were not gate crashers but were verbally invited by Ivone Juan, the PAL representative, It took quite a time but finally we were given stubs.

When the time for fire walking came, everybody stood up to watch closely. Then the M.C., Eddie Mercado requested for volunteers, so I did volunteer.

It was regrettable that the director of the show, due to time pressure, bastardized and shortened very much the Fire Walking Ritual. It could have been presented better.

When everything was done, I accompanied the Firewalkers back to Marahan, Alfonso, Cavite. I was back to Alabang with Roy, the driver of the coaster. We arrived pass 1:00 a.m. but it was a very fruitful day.

Come may 21, 1994, the winner of the Miss Universe contest will be proclaimed but as I saw them all closely, any winner would be worthy.

No comments: