Monday, March 3, 2008

WANTED HEART ATTACK

WANTED: HEART ATTACK
July 28, 1997

Fear, I felt within my bones as I turned extremely apprehensive when my wife and I visit ed Tiya Chong and Tiyo Adring. Both of them were old and very sick. Tia Chong was diabetic and bilaterally deaf for quite a time while Tio Adring was totally blind since he was afflicted with glaucoma.

As was very common and pretty natural among sickly old folks, both of them were extremely high-strung, irritable and cranky. As expected no helper would stay with them for long. It was after the last maid had fled when hell broke loose to their household. Tiya Chong fell down on the floor one day at the kitchen. She sustained hematoma of the head and some sprains here and there. She was brought to the hospital for a thorough examination and was found to be suffering from lung cancer too.

All three children were in America and only a working grandchild was left with them. A former maid who was now married requested her cousin to attend to the needs of the sick couple for the meantime. That was the situation when we paid them a visit. Tiya Chiong was lying carelessly over a dirty bed sheet, holding a big crucifix which was earlier given to her by a kind nun. Tio Adring was at the other room lying on equally messy bed while listening to a very loud-sounding radio. He was wearing a very dirty inside out T-shirt.

The borrowed maid still looked very sleepy as she hardly slept the night before due to Tiya Chong’s constant voiding. She had to be helped in doing anything, from eating to moving her vowels. I requested my wife to rush to the market to buy some fruits. The grandson wasn’t yet home, working somewhere.

When my wife returned with the fruits, Tiya Chong quickly grasped a handful of grapes and started eating them. Tio Adring requested for a ripe avocado. He could hardly bring to his mouth an upside-down spoon. All the while he was saliva ting profusely.

To each of them we gave P500.00 I was so touched on how excited they became when they accepted the money. I felt misty-eyed and choking. I don’t want to see myself like them but I couldn’t help imagining such apathetic scenery. Their children in America used to earn well but lately they all seemed to have problems of their own. On our way home I told my wife: “The kindest thing that could happen to them is to die suddenly of heart attack and soon”.

No comments: