Friday, March 14, 2008

HELPER, ANYONE?

HELPER, ANYONE?

My wife and I were invited to a Chinese Wedding. The Church rite at 11:00 a.m. and the reception at 7:00 p.m. It was a whole day affair. We needed a driver and a friend recommended to me one.
He was a good driver but not quite used with the Manila routes. He was very talkative. He always had something to say about anything or anybody. My wife was happy that now she knew whom to call anytime she would be in need of a driver.
The following day I discovered that he was a drug user who just came out of the rehabilitation center. Further inquiry revealed that he still uses drugs every now and then.
One day we needed a maid for my daughter and as if an answer to our wish a pretty woman came applying for the job. She said she was an orphan, without brother and sister. She just separated from her husband and didn’t have any child with him.
She needed a place to go to and a job to help her. So I thought we needed one another… what a mutual luck! We quickly hired her to be brought to my daughter in Manila after two days. My daughter was so thankful and so excited to meet her new Yaya.
The following day, a manicurist saw her going to our house. She quickly made cautious comments and revealed many things about her. So, she had been married before and had two children, now grown ups. She was once a Japayuki and the “husband” to whom she said she just separated was just a live-in partner who was also a drug user. She had so many men in her life. The manicurist feared that she might bring havoc into our family.
Immediately I went home and told the woman that my daughter just texted me saying that her mother-in-law just brought two maids from the province and she would no longer be needed.
Hiring helper is a risky game. Once we hired a driver who was very decent, clean and with a good sense of humor. Our laundry woman who knew him warned us about him so I immediately dismissed him.
Two days later I saw him on T.V., captured after having carnapped a lawyer’s car. It turned out that he was the chief carnapper at the village where we were then residing.

No comments: