Wednesday, March 26, 2008

MOTHER KNOWS BEST

MOTHER KNOWS BEST

I often disagree with the repeatedly quoted dictum that “Mother Knows Best”. There are mothers who abandon their children, mothers who abort their unborn babies and mothers who kill their own newborns. There are also mothers murdering their own husbands… and they know best???

Of course my approach to the subject is too negative. I am talking about the bad mothers so that I am getting bad results because of my journalistic bad manner. I must look at the brighter side.

There is no brighter side more than my wife, I think, who is a mother to five and a grandmother to another five. After more than three decades observing her, trying to convince myself that she knows best I ended up with still a bit of confusion because I noticed that she talks too much… on waking up, while washing, while eating, while doing anything and yes, even in her sleep. She doesn’t get tired giving instructions and repeatedly mentioning the already monotonous sounding rules.

Many times I threaten to leave her for decisions I found difficult to accept or concur with but most of the time I end up swallowing my pride after realizing that again she shows her best.

President Cory Aquino has been chided for endorsing everything to God through her prayers even during her most trying moments in her presidency and in running her family. But look, even her colon cancer is seemingly the only best thing that can really unite the nation.

Mother knows best – yes, but Mother Nature is doing her worst – sending floods, earthquakes, typhoons, tornadoes and all forms and kinds of calamities where they are not needed. Everyone is wondering, everyone is asking: “Is the end of the world coming soon?”

No, it is not the end of the world. It is when Mother Nature is doing her worst that she is showing she knows best. The world has gone mad and it needs a lot of shaking.

No comments: