Wednesday, March 19, 2008

FAMILY REUNION

FAMILY REUNION

Reunion especially in a big family is always given importance and anticipated by the members of the family. Now that the world is border less, members of the family easily got separated from each other as sons and daughters are migrating or just simply working in other countries. Separation has many side effects and that is why reunion is more relevant and necessary for the clan to keep intact.

But organizing a reunion especially in situation when everybody is everywhere attending to their different works is almost a Herculean job. I appreciate families who can organize an annual reunion.

Somehow it becomes a challenge to every member and that makes it more interesting. During a reunion one gets acquainted to a relative that has been away for a long time. It is also fun to observe different members showing different peculiarities resulting into endless topics for conversation.

Our branch on the father side was just a small group because we don’t have cousins as my father’s sisters and brothers either did not marry or didn’t have children. We were ten siblings but two died during infancy, two became old maids and one died a bachelor. Now I am the only one alive out of the original ten. I have five children, four are married and soon my grandchildren shall be six already.

My sons already migrated to Australia while one daughter moved to Canada. Soon we shall be separated and far away from each other but I am not complaining. This is a bitter pill that I am supposed to swallow.

Last week I was invited to the reunion of one branch of my grandfather’s family. They were very happy although some also didn’t attend possibly due to some very pressing problems or some minor misunderstandings that always happen in every clan.

It was a successful reunion and they have been doing this for several years. I was always invited because they consider me the resource person in as far as the clan was concerned. It was only ironic that our family which was the smallest and supposed to be the easiest to manage was never as active.

No comments: