Thursday, July 5, 2007

Helping a Future Leader

I was on my way to the private school where I do my browsing, etc. because its account is unlimited. Upon entering the gate I noticed a teen-age boy alone at the parent's waiting station. I approached and asked why he was there and not in classroom. He said he was not allowed to enter because his shoes were not completely black, which was prohibited.

I said, "Why don't you go home and change?". He answered: "My black pair of shoes were completely torn the other day".

"Why don't you borrow from a friend?", I asked.

He said: "Our place is far from here and the bridge is under repair..."

"What are you planning to do? Why stay here?" I continued.

"I am planning to sneak myself in after recess". That was how strongly he wanted to attend class.

Since our house was just nearby, I invited him to my place so I could lend a pair of black shoes to him. After asking the permission of the guard we went to my place together and I lent him my black Bally pair of shoes.

His eyes suddenly glowed and his enthusiasm was doubled. He quickly went back to his classroom and accomplished the day's need. At the end of the day he felt triumphant then thankfully returned my pair of black shoes.

Someday that young boy could be one of the nation's leader. If he missed that class, he could have been greatly traumatized and disliked school the rest of his life.

I hope what I did, the simple act of allowing him to use my black pair of shoes for a while, was imprinted in his subconscious mind so that he himself will do good things, no matter how simple, whenever he has a chance.

No comments: