Monday, July 16, 2007

The Mystical Mountain, Banahaw

HAVING read a lot about the sacred mountain from Jaime Licauco, I have always been looking forward for a chance to experience mystical Mt. Banahaw. My longing was finally rewarded when family friends invited me for a spiritual pilgrimage to the New Jerusalem.

We left the Alabang area at around 5:30 in the morning of March 3, 2002 and reached Barangay Sta. Lucia a little past seven, parked our vehicles and through the efficient instructions of Gloria, our unofficial group leader, we were soon walking toward the foot of the mountain.

Along the way we passed by makeshift stores selling souvenir items along with native food and delicacies. Most of us bought candles that would be needed for the different caves or 'puestos'. Suddenly we found ourselves face to face with a big rock with a caption in big, white letters: 'Santong lugar, igalang po natin'. Beyond the rock were people praying amid lighted candles. There was a big, old image of the crucified Christ and a fading replica of the Ten Commandments. We stopped, lighted candles and prayed for a while then continued walking.

At the place called Jerusalem, there was a big table, simple comfort rooms and little huts all around where pilgrims could stay overnight. The place served as our station. Gloria suggested that we eat our snacks and take only water, T-shirt, a towel, candies, water in small bottles and not to forget our hats.

After a hurried snack, we started inching over steep and uneven steps of natural rock formations. We passed by the Altar ng Jerusalem, a natural formation of huge rocks that looked like a giant altar with two candles burning though no one was seen praying. Crisostomo Llamado guided us to the caves of St. Peter and St Paul. We lighted candles and said prayers before we moved on to the next cave, Ina ng Awa, with the image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. At the time we arrived, a "Rosario Cantada" was being held by another group, so we joined in the praying of the Holy Rosary.

Close by was the Cueva de Jusgado. It had a small opening just enough for one person to back into. There was an anecdote that pilgrims who are sinners cannot enter this cave no matter how much they try. Gloria advised us to "Leave everything behind so as not to be carrying much once you are inside." As we entered, we brought lighted candles, not for any religious reason but simply because it was totally dark inside. Aside from my T-shirt and short pants, the only thing I did not leave was my pair of eyeglasses, fearing that my sight could be distorted if I didn't have them.

When it was my turn to enter, I did it very cautiously while showing Terry, my wife, how to do it. It was difficult to find any foothold for my feet to help me move forward from my awkward position. A guide held my left foot, cautioning me to be very careful, or I might fall directly into a deep pit should I make the wrong move.

Entering the cave was like being born, as there was no way I could return to the entrance. I thought that was the only problem. I learned too late that I was inside a long, dark, narrow cave (tunnel) about 20 to 30 meters in length just big enough for my body to make slight movements. Some portions were slippery and surrounded by sharp, protruding stones. I had to slither and contort my body like a snake to come out unhurt. The scientist in me feared that the lack of oxygen and the emission of carbon dioxide from the many burning candles could cause all of us inside to be suffocated.

At a spot enough for two persons to stand, I met the 11-year-old son of Dennis and Gloria who said he could not make it anymore. I assured him that he could easily make it as it was doubly difficult to return. That boy's lamentation horrified my wife who thought she too couldn't move any further. I encouraged her to think positively and be inspired by Linda who had gone ahead. I then suggested to the two discouraged crawlers to allow me to go ahead and just follow me.

In a part of the cave where the opening was big enough, I couldn't find anything to hold my feet so I could move forward. I was in this predicament when the candle I was holding fell. In moments like this, faith in oneself and, most of all, faith in God plus a little resourcefulness can help keep one's head.

I asked Terry to push my bottom so my arms would be free enough to thrust my whole body forward. It worked. I made it. Then I suggested to my wife to request the boy behind her to do the same and so on. I caught myself regretting and almost blaming myself for being so stupid a to put myself in such a situation but finally after the terribly difficult obstacle course, the sense of achievement was simply exhilarating. I never felt so fulfilled in all my life.

The Cueva de Jusgado was very symbolic of life, for in life there are many obstacles and ignoring them won't solve the problem. One must think be confident, have faith in oneself and in God, be resourceful and continue moving forward to be triumphant. Our group, around 30 in all, was victorious as we all passed the obstacle course with flying colors. I thought that was the end of the trail. I was about to text my friends to brag of my achievement when Gloria announced that we would now proceed to the 'Kalbaryo'.

We started a seemingly endless uphill climb over big stones and boulders following a most uneven arrangement of steps. A simple loss of balance or a wrong move could spell disaster. This time, Bert Noche was our guide. Thank God it, was a bit cloudy and not so hot at 10 a.m. Thank God, I did not get leg cramps. Somewhere we passed by the 'Kweba ni Santo Nino' with the image of the Child Jesus there surrounded by lighted candles. After a short prayer we continued our climb with candy in the mouth and taking sips of water every now and then.

At 11 a.m., panting and sweating, we reached the 'Tuktuk ng Kalbaryo'. I thought that was the summit of Mt. Banahaw until Bert explained to me that we were only at the topmost portion of the foot of the Mystical Mountain. There was one big, wooden cross and two small ones on each side. From there we could see the real Mt. Banahaw in front.

We were all tired and our muscles ached. But to be on this site (especially because it was during Lent when we went to Mt. Banahaw) was not only a personal achievement, it was a sacrifice that we offered to Jesus as a humble gesture of our faith. Mt. Banahaw, I learned, was composed of several mountains about 7,000 feet above sea level, occupying part of Laguna and part of the Quezon provinces. My experience was something to remember for a long, long time.

I am optimistic that I will still have another chance to return to Mt. Banahaw. I'll visit other important spots such as 'Batang Kiling', 'Kweba ng Dolorosa', 'Kweba ng Virgen de la Paz',Kweba ng Inang Santisima Kasama ang Tubig ng Santisima', 'Kweba ng Nazareno', 'Palasyo ni Moses', 'Kweba ni Santa Agnes', 'Kweba ni San Isidro', 'Ang Ilog Jordan' (ang Pansol sa Ama at Pansol sa Ina), 'Ang Kinabuhayan', 'Ang Kweba ng Koronang Bato' and many others.

No comments: