Monday, July 23, 2007

Too Punctual

I used to say "it is better one hour too soon than one minute too late". If I possessed any good quality, it was punctuality... sometimes to a fault. I always came too early for an appointment whether it was with a child.

As a result, it almost always happened during a call for a meeting that I was already tired and bored before the other participants came with that overused lousy excuse "filipino time".

I took up my Medical course for seven years and in that length of time I was never late, rain or shine. The problem was when there was typhoon and I was already in school before they announced 'no class today'.

There was a feeling of fulfillment when you knew you already made it on time and was willing to wait for other party. I just enjoyed anticipating and my enthusiasm was greatly enhanced whenever I was sure I have arrived for an appointment.

A schedule with a doctor, to me was of utmost importance though some doctors don't also come on time just as some priests delay their mases. Today I have an appointment with my Eye Doctor at 7:30 a.m. but as always, I was one hour too soon. The 8th floor of the Medical Arts Tower of the New Medical City, where the office of my Ophthalmologist was located, was still empty. Empty as a vacuum though every now and then I could hear extended announcements through the paging system. Without that sound, the atmosphere was completely eerie, that I felt as if a ghost was going to appear any moment from a corner to chase me. I went to the comfort room, which also appeared totally abandoned. Not a single janitor was seen doing his chores around.

Thoughts played in my mind. What if there was sudden brown out and the elevator cannot be used? What if a bomb was planted somewhere and suddenly burst in great wildness? And what if they thought I planted the bomb? What if there was sudden earthquake and I was caught in a file of rabble alone?

I wanted to go back to the lobby and was about to do so when the secretary arrived with her pretty morning smile. Suddenly I was not alone. Soon the whole building would be alive and teeming with people. I would surely be the first one to be examined and I felt so victorious that after all I deserve all the priorities for coming one hour too soon.

While I was being examined, other patients started accumulating at the Eye Center laboratory that when my time came I was scheduled to come back after lunch. There was no way I could be even one minute earlier.

I killed my time by having coffee, praying at the chapel and just walking around until it was time for me to undergo Flourescuen Angiography. I was told that a companion was extremely necessary. As a doctor myself I knew, because allergy to the dye could cause emergencies. Further more, after dilating the pupils of my eyes my vision would be blurred. But I have already taken my anti-allergy in the morning and I thought I could manage everything alone.

The ophthalmic technologist inquired if I had children and why no one accompanied me. I said I have five but they have their own things to do and didn't know they would be needed. My wife had to attend to some business too. If it was impossible to do the procedure without a companion, I said, I was willing to hire an off-duty aide or janitor to accompany me afterwards. As it turned out I was able to make it without a companion. Another triumph.

My wife who promised to come back and be with me during the procedure at 1:00pm called at 3:30 p.m. announcing that she was already at the Cash and Carry and would be with me soon.

I have already finished two cups of coffee and my vision was gradually getting clearer when my wife came.

No comments: