Monday, July 30, 2007

ZARZUELA

One time I chanced to watch a Zarzuela, "Paglipas ng Dilim", together with my wife and a daughter at the CCP Little Theater.

To most of the present generation, a Zarzuela is a corny kind of show but to me, it was more than just a show. I looked beyond and behind the stage.

As the performers do their individual rolls with precision and continuity I saw many days of practice, a patient director and a lot of tantrums among the crew as well as the participants themselves.

The musical director and the musicians themselves must have spent many days and nights of rehearsals. The props men, the art director, make-up artists, everyone involved must have given so much of themselves for a show that will only be branded corny by some juveniles.

I salute the artists who, kept on reviving the Filipino art. It has always been in my blood to see shows that depict Filipino art, culture and heritage but money was most of the time the opposing factor. This time thank to a friend who gave us the complimentary ticket.

No comments: