Tuesday, July 31, 2007

HAPPINESS

While waiting for the heavy traffic in Baclaran to move, instead of getting irritated and bored, I started people-watching. I immediately noticed two young women happily eating banana-Q, unaffected by the continuous movements of passers-by. I asked myself, what is it that makes people happy? I just looked around and I saw endless answers to my question. HAPPINESS IS:

>A young boy biting on a half-bitten "mamon" left over.
>A beggar hearing a coin-sound dropped into her tin can.
> A two hand amputee balancing cigarette between stumps of arms.
>A beggar with his left foot inserted into a pressed milk can to produce rhythmic sound while
mouth plays with a plastic harmonica.
>A jeepney driver successfully inching his way out of a traffic maze.
>A volunteer traffic aide who, just solved a difficult traffic puzzle.
>A middle-aged man with portions of his hair tied with a rubber band.
>A watch-repairer behind his 1x2x4cabinet.
>An LRT first timer who just discovered how to use a turnpike.
>A tired soldier buying a card of Birthday Blessings.
>A "kakanin"-vendor who just sold all her "tiendas".
>A sweepstakes ticket vendor who, just convinced someone to buy ticket.
>A "sampaguita" vendor with fresh "sampaguita" garlands singing her way to prospective
customers.
>A watcher like me who just enjoys watching happy people everywhere.

No comments: