Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Photo-Finish

I dislike a photo-finish way of doing things, yet, that was exactly what I experienced that day in 1992. Everything happened so fast and was done so hurriedly as if we were always running away from a time bomb about to explode.

In as far as I was concerned I prefer being hours too soon than a second too late. I felt so tense when I was doing things at the eleventh hour. I always experienced headache and palpitation when I was hurrying. I just felt very sick. I was not quite used to catchings seconds.

My son, Paul, was one of the La Salle delegates to Mexico. He was scheduled to leave at 4:00 O'clock that afternoon, together with sixteen others.

In the process, there were so many hassles. He was at first denied U.S. visa and even the Mexican visa was not easily approved. He got both only in the afternoon of the day before. That morning he was supposed to barrow an uncle's coat, buy religious souvenir articles, get his ticket, buy shoes, get his insurance, hear mass and fix a lot of other things.

Added to that, the traffic was plain terrific and it was raining. We didn't know which one to do first. So, after the usual heated discussion and argument, we went directly to the travel agent, who even quarreled with my wife.

Without settling the problem with the plane ticket, we proceeded to Landmark where Paul bought 2 pairs of shoes and other needs. It was pass 11:00 a.m. when my wife arrived from the Travel Agency, via the Insurance Company. Meantime, my son was needed at La Salle at exactly 1:00 p.m. and we were still in Makati.

It was quarter to 12 when we reached La Salle. I went directly to Quiapo to buy spiritual bouquet at Sta. Cruz Church for a dead relative. I was back to La Salle at quarter to 1 without souvenir items as it was previously agreed that Paul would buy them at La Salle.

We all went to bed late that night and had only light lunch that noon but Paul arrived at the airport just on time - 2:00 p.m. - minus the religious souvenirs - a photo-finish indeed.

We were back to Ayala Alabang at 5:45 p.m. with just 15 minutes left to attend the wake of my wife's dead relative whom we were told was moving to the province from the Sta. Susana Chapel at 4:00 p.m. but was rather transferred at 2:00 p.m.

Back home we had to call the repairman for the computer, which would be needed that night by my daughter for her thesis.

My youngest son was sick and I needed to buy 'calamansi' after bringing the computer to the repair shop.

As I was writing this note it was 7:45 p.m. in front of Pizza Hut near La Salle University where I was waiting for my daughter who was coming out from class anytime.

No comments: