Thursday, August 2, 2007

Creating a GARDEN

Before God created man He first created the Garden of Eden at Paradise, dominated by an apple tree. Then He populated it with a man and a woman who soon both succumbed to the temptation of the serpent (the devil). Ever since, gardens have always been part of every civilization long before the wonderful Hanging Garden of Babylon to the blessed Garden of Gehtsemane and down to the supposedly more modern Japanese and Chinese Gardens.

Gardens are always fascinating. Be it a Rock Garden, an Herbal Garden or a Garden of Roses; be it a giant Orchidarium, a mini Terrarium in a small glass jar or a simple dish garden, there is always a mystery in every garden.

As I approach the later existence of my life on earth, while my mortal mind is still sane and my mortal body still capable I decided to create a Unique Garden to serve as my rejuvenating pastime during my twilight years.

I want my garden to be as crude as crude can be. I didn't consult any landscape engineer or any expert gardener because I want to give my garden its own "personality". There are already grown-up trees scattered in about 2,000 sq.mt. of fertile soil bordering on a slow-flowing brook. There are mature bamboo, coconut and fruit-bearing trees such as Manga, Lansones, Langka, Duhat, Macopa, Rambutan, Guyabano, Santol, Bayabas, Bignay, Kamyas, Cacao, Mansanitas, Tiesa, Irok (kaong), Kalamansi, plus Eucalyptus, Lubi-lubi, Narra, Mahogany, G-melina, Indian tree, Alibangbang and the almost extinct Malaruhat. Blooms are already in line like Doña Aurora, Doña Luz, Ilang-ilang, Rosal, Sampaguita. Goose-neck cactus and other nameless shrubs all sharing their blossoms.

After removing a temporary "bodega" that was built when the old house was repaired, a sudden open space challenged me to do something. The driveway that used to be obstructed by the "bodega" has been extended from the gate to the brookside more than 100 meters long. What used to be a detour portion revealed nearby a cemented portion where my aging uncle once built a shanty where he could go whenever he made "tampo" with his daughter. Over it I built a "bahay-kubo" that I labeled "Hut for Amicable Settlements", a venue for opposing parties to settle their differences. The empty detour portion is planted now with a concoction of colorful flowers. To the left is the part for "halamang gamut" with giant tree with twirling vines of makabuhay and paminta vines nearby. To its right, is the Rock Garden with varieties of cacti. In between the narrow pathwaya, one leading to the "bahay kubo" while the other turn to the wishing well, a big "talyasi" was converted into a mini fishpond with colorful carps swimming day and night.

At one portion of the fence I hung many almost useless things that I just cannot throw away. I labelled them "Keepables". Old tires were planted with sanggumay orchids and "pakpak-lawin". They were hung at every empty branche reminding strollers that life is like a wheel... "sometime you are up and sometime you are down, but can always be useful".

A little further were an old Macopa stands is the Meditation Corner for one to listen to God while relaxing and imbibing the "prana" of nature. Not very far from it is the "Scream Out" area. Here. one can hear the flowing water of the brook. This is the best area to let go one's negative vibrations to be absorbed by nature and also allow all impurities, psychological, emotional or spiritual, to flow with the water of the brook to be diluted and purified in life's ocean of goodness.

A small balcony that used to be connected to my bedroom before the old house was demolished is now the Balcony of Reconciliation for quarreling lovers to forgive each other under the multi-colored bignay fruits. The former dining room is now the Terrace of Merriment, a multi-purpose area for any kind of gathering. Adjacent to it is the Drinkers" Nook where I often serve my secret tea. Under the Balcony of Reconciliation is a cozy area for those who are at home with the street and neighborhood noises.

Going around my garden that I named GAUDOM, A Mini Forest (from Gaudencio and Dominga, my late parents ) is an entirely exhilarating experience. As one boy commented: "I don't know why but I just feel very, very good when I am here".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Lolo Jett,

Thank you for the wonderful stories! Your sense of humor is so delightful and contagious. You have a gift to create happiness.
Thank you again for sharing your
world.

Warm regards,

Raymond, Monique and Gabrielle