Wednesday, August 1, 2007

OF EARINGS AND EARS

The traffic was heavy and while I was riding a jeepney from Baclaran I had a chance to watch the passengers in front of me on the other side of the vehicle.

I was first attracted by an old woman with a shiny pair of earrings shaped like lyres. Then I looked at her ears and enjoyed observing earrings as well as ears of passengers that come and go.

I didn't realize before that shapes of earrings could be so varied as ears themselves. There were dot-like earrings as there were giant ones, I wonder how the ears could carry their weight. There were all kinds of shapes, colors and styles. There were small ears, big ears, elongated, rounded, crumpled, distorted, sexy, all sorts. There were also clean ears, dirty ears, and smelly ears.

Scientifically there are two ears so that the person will know the direction, the distance and the source of the sounds he hears. But symbolically there are two ears so tht the listener will get more source of information rather than just believing a single source.

Ears could be very interesting whether they hang earrings or not. And male ears too, have their own quality and appeal. Some have their earrings though usually one sided only.r

I think if all earrings ordinarily used by Filipinos could be gathered together, the value would be enough to pay our foreign debts. Then ears will no longer glitter but will all be healthier and will definitely hear clearer. Have you heard of a country's economy solved by the people's ears?

No comments: