Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Senior Citizen

She was not feeling well although according to other doctors nothing was really wrong with her, the reason why she was calling me for my opinion. Immediately I knew the reason why. She was depressed, lonely, and afraid of her fate that she was old and all her children were residing abroad.

She was the aunt of my wife. She was about 80 years old. Her husband underwent several operations and was hospitalized many times. Now the two of them were usually left at home when their two grandsons go to school.

In that situation nobody could feel well. Any woman would be depressed. So that night, my wife and I, together with two daughters paid them a visit. My suspicion was true. She was only reacting to her boring situation. She was so mad at everybody whom she helped before. She felt avoided, abandoned, neglected, even hated.

I suggested that instead of focusing her attention on those negative thoughts she should start counting blessings and achievements. Forget her "bad" friends relatives but instead play some interesting games with her equally depressed husband. I suggested Chinese checker, domino and card games.

Her face showed gladness and anticipation, Suddenly the old woman was feeling well. All the while my two daughters were observing what I was doing. They were probably projecting mentally how my wife and I, their parents, would look and feel when we reach that point in life. I hope the experience taught them what to do.

No comments: